The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Monday, December 7, 2015

Memory Jogger Monday - December 7

Earth and Moon
What are some of your life philosophies or life views that you would share with others?

I have always liked the philosophy that we are "spiritual beings having a mortal experience."

Sometimes it is hard to remember that this Earth life is really not our home. We came into mortality (Earth life) from the presence of our Heavenly Father as His spiritual offspring. We took upon ourselves physical Earthy bodies and our body is the veil that covered us (the spirit) and also caused us to forget our pre-mortal life. As we go throughout mortality we strive to live in the world, but not be part of the world.

I really like this line from the Hymn - More Holiness Give Me:

More purity give me,
More strength to o'ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy--
More, Savior, like thee.

I have experienced many times that "longing for home". And that wishing for "more freedom from earth-stains". There are times that I have glimpses of eternity and during those times the "worldliness" around me really irritates me. Even little petty things like common bumper stickers.

Being immersed in family history and temple work helps me keep my focus that I'm a "spiritual being having a mortal experience." As I work to find my ancestors and provide needed temple ordinances, my life is put into proper perspective. I really love this quote. It sums up my feelings.

“There really can be a bond and a sense of belonging that tie together generations on both sides of the veil. This bond gives us a sense of identity and purpose. Our ties with the eternal world suddenly become very real, sharpening our life’s focus and lifting our expectations.” 
– Bruce C. Hafen, “Planting Promises in the Hearts of the Children”, Ensign, June 1994, p. 48.

See this post for more information about "Memory Jogger Monday": 

No comments:

Post a Comment