The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Linking Generations


“I alone am the link to the generations that stand on either side of me.  It is my responsibility to knit their hearts together through love and respect, even though they may never have known each other personally.  My grandchildren will have no knowledge of their family’s history if I do nothing to preserve it for them.  That which I do not in some way record will be lost at my death, and that which I do not pass on to my posterity, they will never have.  The work of gathering and sharing eternal family keepsakes is a personal responsibility.  It cannot be passed off or given to another.” 

- Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander, "Bridges and Eternal Keepsakes”, Ensign, May 1999, pp. 83-84

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember hearing this in General Conference or reading it in the Ensign, but then I didn't start working on my family history until about 2006, so it may have just slipped by me. Now I love it. It's such an important principle. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire talk is worth your reading time. Check it out: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/05/bridges-and-eternal-keepsakes?lang=eng

      Delete