The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Friday, February 20, 2015

RootsTech 2015 - Day 3 - February 14th

Here are some of my thoughts from my experiences from the last day of RootsTech 2015.

General Session
A.J. Jacobs - Global Family Reunion
The Global Family Reunion will be held on June 6, 2015 in New York City at the New York Hall of Science.  There will also be online streaming and branch parties around the world; including one at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  Everyone counts … we are all connected.  The global family is hugely important. It brings history to life, fills us with gratitude and interconnects us with all human kind. We will be a kinder world as we deeply realize that we are one big family.

Here is the link to the Global Family Reunion (GFR) http://globalfamilyreunion.com/ Select "Join the Family" to see how you are connected to the Global Family Tree.  I already know that I am related to George Walker Bush (on both his father's and his mother's lines) and the Bushes are already connected in the Global Family Tree.  I am still waiting for my email from the GFR to show all my connectedness. 

You can buy tickets for the event for $20 and 100% goes to the Cure Alzheimer's Fund and the Alzheimer's Association to fund research. When we lose someone to Alzheimer's we lose their memories and their history.  Curing Alzheimer's is really about preserving family history!

Donny Osmond
Anybody can do family history; it is all about stories. When you discover more about your ancestors, the more you discover about yourself. Most of Donny's history has been documented.  Has ours?  If not, why not? Don't you think our descendants deserve to know about us? It is our responsibility to record our lives. If we don't document our memories, we will at some point forget them. Donny indicated that searching his family history has become one of his favorite hobbies.  He was given all of his mother's research … which spanned decades. What matters most is what lasts the longest and family lasts the longest. We need to make every "right now" matter. We need to give our loved ones our time.  Check out Donny's app at http://donny.com/


Bringing Families Together Through Family Reunions - Andi Gooch
I really liked this session as I have a family reunion session that I present at other conferences. It was good to see a different take on family reunion planning.  Because RootsTech is a tech conference the majority of Andi's presentation was tech oriented and she shared apps and programs that can help in planning a reunion.  She shared some programs for collecting payments electronically that I had not thought of using before. That one suggestion alone will help me in the family reunions and high school reunion I am planning. Her topics covered: Themes, Administration, Social Media, Activities and Master of Ceremonies. You can follow Andi on her blog: http://intothewestfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/


6 Steps to Choreograph Your Research Across The Internet - Janet Hovorka
I took a lot of notes on this session to help me in my personal family history research.  Here are my overview notes regarding the 6 steps: 1. Know what you are looking at online. 2. Create your own conclusion tree. 3. Know your search strategies. 4. Use multiple tabs on your screen. 5. Use timelines. 6. Cite your sources.  Janet's session was recorded and may be available on the RootsTech website in the future. For more information on this topic, you can follow Janet on her blog: http://thechartchick.blogspot.com/


EXPO HALL
There were so many vendors and not enough time to visit each booth.  I quickly walked the entire hall on one of my lunch breaks and on the other breaks I was able to visit about a dozen booths.  I probably could have spent 3 days visiting vendors.  It was a hard decision to make … go to class, visit with new friends, or visit vendors.  Even though the conference was already 4 days long and I was exhausted at the end of each day, there are moments when I think that it wasn't long enough.  I believe there were something like 200 vendors.  Here is a list of the exhibitors: http://rootstech.org/expo/exhibitors2015

#RootsTech    #GlobalFamilyReunion   #iamacousin

No comments:

Post a Comment