The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Youth Give Life To Genealogy


“I believe the youth are not only willing and able to do genealogical research, but they are a good means of giving life to the whole program. How often have the youth actually been driven away by those who would close the door on genealogy to them, or at the best, insist that they must ‘drink milk’ when they are ready for the ‘meat.’

“I am reminded of a little story told to me of a young girl who was assigned to give a two-and-a-half minute talk for Sunday School. She chose the subject of genealogy. She began her talk by saying, ‘Brothers and sisters, I have chosen to talk on genealogy.’ Then she stood silently at the pulpit, staring at the congregation, for two-and-one-half minutes. At the end of that time she said, ‘I guess you have been really concerned and worried waiting for me to talk about genealogy. How do you think our ancestors feel, waiting for us to do something about their genealogy?’ Then she sat down.”


- Ezra Taft Benson, “Eternal Memories,” Tenth Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar,
BYU, Provo, Utah, 31 July 1975.

1 comment: