The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

UVTAGG June Presentation - Finding the Living


On Saturday, June 13, 2015 I was the main presenter for the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group (UVTAGG) monthly meeting. I presented "Finding the Living Among the Dead: Using the Internet to Find Your Living Cousins" followed by a Q&A session. I hope the group enjoyed the presentation and were able to obtain some ideas to help them find their living cousins.

At the end of the presentation I met a lady named Elaine. She said that in her research she was experiencing some frustration with one of her ancestors in proving where the ancestor is really buried. She said that this ancestor "Diana Livingston" died in Nauvoo, Illinois and is said to be buried there in the Old Nauvoo Burial Grounds; which after the Saints left Nauvoo was turned into a corral for cows and the cemetery was destroyed.

I asked her if Livingston was Diana's maiden name or married name because when she said that name it sparked a memory. She said it was Diana's maiden name and then she told me the men Diana married. When she said "David Ellsworth" it all clicked for me. I then said, "And they had a daughter named Lucinda"? And Elaine looked at me and asked, "How do you know this?"

Lucinda is my 3rd great-grandmother and Elaine's ancestor is Lucinda's brother James.

I guess you never know when having the names and stories of your ancestors memorized will come in handy. And when presenting on "Finding the Living Among the Dead" you should also be prepared to find the living among the living. It was nice to meet you cousin Elaine!

1 comment: