The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Digital Journaling Solutions

Photo from LDS Media Library

Earlier this month I wrote a post about writing a personal history or keeping a journal. I mentioned that instead of using a notebook I was going to use the computer to document my life. Shortly after my post I had a family friend ask me what kind of digital journaling options were now available. I wasn't aware of the options myself, so I quickly polled a few of my Facebook friends to find out what they use and I did a Google search as well.

By no means is my list comprehensive; nor do I necessarily recommend any of these products. This is a simple list of what I was able to find online. If you use any of these products or know of other products, please share your thoughts in the comments at the end of this post.

http://www.ldsjournal.com/
Specifically for members of the LDS Church.
Free
Online

Free and paid options
Online
Mobile
Custom email reminders

Free and paid options
Online
Attach photos, imbed YouTube videos
Paid: import from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Paid: download backup

Free for first 30 days, then $5/month
Online


Free
Online
Private or public journal

Free
Online

69 digital journal apps for IOS, Android, and Windows mobile devices

This site ranks top apps/software and has many other journaling articles.

Free and paid options
Online and download
Mobile option (IOS, Android)

Free and paid options
Online and Download
Mobile options (IOS, Android)

Free and Paid
Personal history

30 day free, monthly or yearly subscription
Emailed questions - respond by phone or email

Other options:
Facebook - private posts, print to book
Private Blog, print to book
Google Docs/Drive
Word processing software

Some other resources:

AND ... check out this technology ... it is something I am excited for and can't wait for it to be affordable to everyone:

Remember to share in the comments what you use for journaling or personal history keeping. I would like to learn more about this topic.

***Updated 6 hours later ***
More questions to think about:
* What happens if the digital solution provider goes out of business; how will I access my content?
* Can I access my content outside of the solution (ie: .txt,.pdf, etc) as a backup?
* How will my posterity know about my online journal/history?
* Do I designate a beneficiary for my digital journal? Does the solution provide for beneficiary access?

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking into this idea:

    1. sign up with FollowUpThen
    2. set up a blog with Blogger
    3. send e-mails to myself (via FollowUpThen) with questions to answer at later dates
    4. when I get the questions, forward my answers to my blog (via the Posting Using Email functionality)
    5. send text messages from my phone to blog (via same functionality), because my phone lets me text to e-mail addresses.

    I'll let you know how it goes. I think I can skip the first step if I download Boomerang (?) for Gmail, but I need to add it to Chrome, and I'm on someone else's computer right now, so I'll wait on that idea and see how this works.

    ReplyDelete