The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Memory Jogger Monday - May 18

Donald, Darlene, Dennis - 1950
Tell me about your father (his name, birth date, birthplace, parents, and so on). Share some memories you have of your father.

Dennis Ray Ohms was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on December 22, 1945 to Raymond Henry Ohms and Helen Arlene Barr Ohms. He was the 4th child and 3rd son. His oldest brother Ronald was stillborn in 1936. The second child, a daughter Darlene was born in 1938; then brother Donald in 1940 and Dennis in 1945.

Some of my favorite memories:

Papa taught me to work hard. One way that he did this was by teaching me how to pull weeds when I was very young. We had a large garden. I remember packing my grain bag full of weeds, making sure to shake off all the dirt. We would get paid 5 cents per pound. I had my favorite weeds ... those without stickers and thorns.

Also, when I was a young child, my father was Santa! There were occasions where I was able to accompany him on his visits and deliveries as his helper elf. I remember riding in his old brown truck in the dark night as he made surprise visits and I remember hiding with him at the LDS Institute.
Santa 1980s
Last year for our family reunion we visited the homes and schools from his childhood. My sister compiled this collage of those places. My mom believes that this was one way for him to get us to write his history. I think it was a great idea.

There are so many more memories I have of him. I will continue to write them down.
See this post for more information about "Memory Jogger Monday": 

No comments:

Post a Comment