The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Family History Is For Everyone

Photo From LDS Media Library
While I was searching for a different image in the LDS Media Library, I came across this image above and felt impressed to share it on my blog.

"Family history is much more than dates, records, and research" ... this is something that I share all the time with those I teach. There is a place and a role for everyone in family history. It can be whatever you want it to be. Perhaps you are sharing family stories with young children or organizing living family members into reunions or family parties. Anything you do to strengthen the family and family relationships among the living and/or the dead is family history. It can even be baking and sharing your great-grandma's cookie recipe. It can be anything you want it to be. That is what I love about family history ... it is what you make it!

In the image above are 10 ideas for ways to engage in family history. What are you doing to envelope family history in your own life? Please share your ideas in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I realized something the other day. The way I research family history data follows an "Up Then Down" model. For example, I gather data about myself and my spouse, then my kids (down). Then, I gather data my parents (up) and then my siblings (down) and their kids (down). Then, I gather data about my grandparents (up) and their kids (down), grandkids (down) and great-grandkids (down). Then, I gather data about my great-grandparents (up), then their kids (down).... etc. You get the idea.

    I don't do this perfectly, though. I still have lots of holes. But, essentially, that's the way I like to work!

    ReplyDelete