The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Memory Jogger Monday - August 10


Where did you go to school? Give some details about what was school like for you and some of your memorable experiences.

I grew up in an unincorporated area of Iron County, Utah (near Cedar City). When I was school age my family moved to the house next door. Even though we didn't move far and we didn't move outside of school boundaries, the school boundaries moved around us and changed very frequently. Here is where I went to school:

Kindergarten, South Elementary, Cedar City, Mrs. Wilson teacher

I remember walking after school from South Elementary to Southern Utah State College (now SUU) to be with my dad until he finished working. My friend Mindy would also walk with me so she could be with her dad too. Sometimes we would go to Mindy's home to play. I remember riding skateboards down the street and "swimming" in the street gutters and playing in the water fountains on the college campus.

Boundary change:
1st Grade, East Elementary, Cedar City, Mrs. Bauer teacher
2nd Grade, East Elementary, Cedar City, Mrs. Pollock teacher

At East Elementary I remember the earthquake drills that we seemed to have all the time. I never remember an actual earthquake while I was there, but I remember the drills.

Boundary change:
I was supposed to go to North Elementary, Cedar City for 3rd grade. I don't remember if I was assigned a teacher, because ...

Boundary change:
The boundaries changed again, right before school started because the "NEW" school that was closer to my home was "almost" ready.

3rd Grade, Enoch Elementary, Enoch, Mrs. Moore teacher
4th Grade, Enoch Elementary, Enoch, Mrs. LeBaron teacher
5th Grade, Enoch Elementary, Enoch, Mr. Robinson teacher

I started 3rd grade at Enoch Elementary. It was a new school and smelled like a new school (paint, carpet, etc). It was so new that when school started the cafeteria and the gym were not complete; as in, they still needed to be built. There were rooms for them, but no walls, equipment, etc. And outside, there was no grass, just lots and lots of dirt. By the time the first year of school was over we had grass, a gym, and lunch!

6th, 7th, 8th Grades, Cedar Middle School, Cedar City
This school was across the street from the College (now SUU). I would ride to school on many mornings with my dad since his work was directly across the street. Most mornings I would ride the bus that would take about one hour in it's route to reach the school. 15 minutes with my dad or one long hour on the bus? Middle school was the first time I had many teachers throughout the day. I don't remember all of their names. I also worked in the cafeteria during lunch; which got me free school lunch. I loved the home economics classes in middle school.

9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grades, Cedar High School, Cedar City
I either rode the bus or rode with my dad. Sometimes I would ride in with my dad and would ride the 7+ miles home on my bike. Once I walked home! These were the days before cell phones and I didn't have any money for the pay phone and one day my mom forgot to pick me up as I had stayed after school for some event. So after waiting for an hour I started walking home. I remember being less than 3 miles from home and a neighbor offered to drive me the rest of the way home. I was so mad that my mom had forgotten me that I refused any offers for rides and I pouted as I walked all the way!

Over the years I have kept in touch with all of my Elementary school teachers. I sent them all invitations to my high school graduation and then many years later to my wedding reception. Some of them came to those events and some of them also wrote me notes overs the years as well. I am grateful for great teachers who also became treasured friends.

See this post for more information about "Memory Jogger Monday": 

No comments:

Post a Comment