The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

From Hours to Seconds - Time to Find a Record


The FamilySearch Family History Library just turned 30! I remember going to the library as a teenager in the late 1980's. At the time, I didn't know the library was "new" as it was all new to me; family history, microfilm, old books. I remember spending entire days there with my father as we searched and searched through microfilm trying to locate just one document about his family.

Recently I was able to quickly access some of those same records we found nearly 30 years ago right from my home computer. Technology is amazing! I think the above infographic is a great representation of what I have personally experienced.

As I started this post, I felt inspired to share this quote from Elder David B. Haight about technology from 22 years ago:

“The Lord has poured out His Spirit upon His children—which is manifest in new technology, simplified procedures, and expanding resources, which enable us to accelerate our progress in the redemption of the dead.”  
– Elder David B. Haight, “Personal Temple Worship,” Ensign, May 1993, p. 25.

I can't wait to see what technology changes the next 30 years bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment