The generations on either side of me link me to my past and my future. My view of family history involves revealing the roots and the branches.

Throughout this blog you will find perspectives related to the doctrines of temple and family history work from revealed revelation given to living prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

RootsTech 2016: Wendy Nelson and Sheri Dew

RootsTech 2016, Wendy Nelson and Sheri Dew
Here are some of my takeaways from this Family Discovery Day session:
  • Temple is a life line.
  • Sealing power is very bold doctrine. - D&C 128:9
  • Set up a family history room
    • Spiritual environment
    • Work in silence
    • Clean and uncluttered
  • When you hit a brickwall (block) it may be that those relatives may not have yet been taught in the spirit world.
  • Pray before you work - "Please lead me to those who are ready to make covenants with Thee and receive their ordinances."
  • "Those on the other side of the veil are very much alive." 
  • "Those on the other side are desperate for their ordinances, and many know when and where their ordinances will take place."
  • Extended family can provide protection.
  • Easier to motivate someone to do something difficult than it is to motivate them to do something easy.
  • The temple changes you.
  • Temple experiences are much more meaningful.
  • You can learn how the spirit speaks to you.
  • "When the Lord know you're serious about family history research, other people show up to help."
  • "Family history research is fun."
  • Those who have gone before LIVE on the other side of the veil.
  • Have miracles ceased? Have angels ceased? Nay - Moroni 7:29, 31
  • There is an urgency that accompanies this work.
  • The Nelsons within 24 hours had visited with children from all 12 tribes.
  • Sheri: You emerge from the temple with power. Go regularly. Go see what the Lord will teach you. I testify the work of salvation is the only work that will matter.


You can watch their keynote here:


I had the opportunity to participate in a Media Hub Sofa Chat with Sheri and Wendy.

Here are some of my takeaways from the chat:

  • Sheri - I am who I am. I'm very comfortable sharing what I believe, because I know what I believe. Doubting not, doesn't mean understanding everything.
  • Wendy - It's the covenants and ordinances that count. I think about who is watching (Heavenly Father and Christ) and I think about those on the other side of the veil.
  • Sheri - There is nothing I care more about than building the kingdom. There are many ways to do that. Build our own testimony and help others find their own. Link arms with those who care about things like we do (family, marriage, children).
  • Wendy - Our work is to help those on the other side of the veil. 
  • Sheri - I'll have to change something or give up something to do this work. I'll have to ask for help from Heaven and make it a priority.
  • Wendy - If you want help from Heaven, you need to help Heaven. God is a great compensator. I never miss the time I give to family history work. The Lord compensates me.
  • Wendy - A group of young families at BYU with lots of stress and problems - what to tell them in 20 minutes - invited the sisters to spend 3 weeks increasing their time in family history and temple work. The results were unbelievable. More power in their lives, depression and stress left, time to make changes. It works because they made covenants with God and they did the work and God poured His power into them.

#RootsTech

No comments:

Post a Comment